Saturday, August 18, 2018

Saturday Battletech, Careful with that Axe, Marcus,

A little background.

I played Battletech with my best friends and my little brother back in High School.  Like any teenager, I tinkered with designs.  And, like now, I loved my joke names.  I decided early on one of my Mechwarriors was going to be a son of a pair of historians.  While the bad fiction I wrote has been lost to the mists of time (for the better I'm sure) I remember the first lines I wrote about Marcus.

My name is Marcus Aurelius Borden.  Marcus Aurelius, because my parents were historians by trade.  Borden, because my family maintains the tradition of a family name.  One of my ancient ancestors achieved a level of infamy, and I named my 'Mech after her.
Cheesy I know.  But it stuck with me.  So of course his Mech's name was Lizzy.  (If you don't get it, google it and complain to your American History Teacher).  I've played Lizzy in one form or another for 30 years now.  So now I share her with my few readers.  Happy Gaming!


Field Testing Summation: Prototype Hatchetman HCT-3F refit designated HCT-3B
Producer/Site: New Avalon Institute of Science, New Avalon
Supervising Technician: Marcus Aurelius Borden
Project Start Date: 3029
Non-Production Equipment Analysis:
None

Overview
“Lizzy” was a reconstruction project supervised by the graduating class of 3029, but her ‘final exam came in the defense of the NAIS by the cadets and staff, and of course First Prince Hanse Davion.  While severely damaged in the fight, she was later rebuilt and became the personal ride of the newly graduated Leftenant Marcus Aurelius Borden.  The ‘Mech takes her name from an ancestor of Leftenant Borden’s

The frame of the Hatchetman was rebuilt around a DAV 225 fusion engine, and the larger gyro taken from an “Avenging Angel” Vindicator.  To make room the Defiance Killer Autocannon was replaced with a ChrisComp 43 Special large laser, “donated” from a wrecked Enforcer, along with additional heat sinks.  The communication and electronics systems were replaced with components from captured Ravens, giving her better communications than the standard model This required removing the Ares-8a and the sensors were replaced with a spotlight.   The Defiance B3M medium laser was moved from the right arm to the left, which helped the balance.  Finally, armor was increased almost 50%, making her as well armored as ‘Mechs 10 tons heavier.  Limitations of the frame meant that the jump capacity remained 120 meters but the resulting increase in ground speed remained the biggest surprise to opponents expecting a ‘regular’ Hatchetman. 

Combat History
Marcus Borden and Lizzy served with distinction along the Federated Suns/Capellan Confederatuib prior to thewar of 3039.  As the 3039 war escalated Marcus was rotated to the Draconis March, where the combination of superior speed and ammunition independency made for an ideal raider and hunter killer.  When teamed with other Hatchetmen or slower Medium units, Marcus would play the role of “wounded bird” holding back and using his medium lasers to lure foes closer, thinking he was simply out of autoncannon ammunition.  He would then use his ‘Mech’s superior speed to get to the flank of his foes, when he would fire all his weapons and use the hatchet, only to jump away to quickly cool down.  Marcus was eventually promoted to command a fire support company, where he often would keep his speed equal to a standard Hatchetman’s 64.8 KPH maximum, only to suddenly shoot ahead and provide spotting or a surprise physical assault to the enemy.  When asked about the risk in his tactics, Marcus replied “When you’re facing down close to 120 long range missiles and multiple PPCs, a medium ‘Mech with a stick seems a slightly lower threat.”

Notes: If playing with advanced rules, Lizzy has a full head ejection system.  Lizzy has the following quirks. Improved Communications, Spotlight, Difficult to Maintain.





Type: Hatchetman HCT-3B “Lizzy”
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)

Equipment



Mass
Internal Structure:



4.5
Engine:

DAV 225

10.0

Walking MP
5



Running MP
8



Jumping MP
4


Heat Sinks:

13

3
Gyro:



3.0
Cockpit



3.0
Armor Factor:

152

9.5


Internal Structure
Armor Value


Head
3
9


Center Torso
14
21


Center Torso (rear)

6


R/L Torso
11
17


R/L Torso (rear)

5


R/L Arm
7
14


R/L Leg
11
22


Weapons and Ammo
Location
Critical
Tonnage
2 Medium Lasers
LA
2
2.0
Large Laser
RT
2
5.0
Hatchet
RA
3
3.0
Jump Jets
LL
2
1.0
Jump Jets
RL
2
1.0





Heatsinks are in the left arm, left torso, center torso and right torso respectively.

As always, the Battletech Universe belongs to Topps. (unless I win the Powerball, then we'll talk) Marcus Aurelius Borden however is mine

No comments:

Post a Comment